Cornell Tech, New York, NY
- AOL Fellow, PhD Candidate in Information Science
- Master of Information Science
Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PA
- Master of Entertainment Technology
Swarthmore College, Swarthmore, PA
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering, personal focus on Mechanical Engineering
- Bachelor of Arts in Psychology
Airbnb, User Experience Research PhD Intern
- Designed and conducted research studies for Host and Homes using qualitative (in-lab user sessions, phone interview intercepts) and quantitative (Ethnio surveys, analysis in R) methods
- Designed foundational and tactical research studies as part of the YouTube Search & Discovery team
- Conducted qualitative research through a diary study and interviews that informed product development
- Worked on a team with two other interns to design a new feature and present to key stakeholders
- Taught a 10-week full-time immersive course in UX design and research to 26 adult students covering topics such as contextual inquiry, wireframing, usability testing, and iterative prototyping
- Designed userflows and 60+ wireframes for Coca Cola’s Share a Coke web and mobile campaigns
- Independently designing and running studies as part of the behavioral sciences group
- Fifth employee at $12.5M venture-backed tangible gaming start-up awarded Fast Company’s Top 10 Most Innovative Consumer Electronic Companies of 2012 and Popular Science’s Best of What’s New 2011
- Led user research across 80+ participants by testing the product in the office, at schools, at museums, and running longitudinal studies in homes to guide product design and development based on user feedback
- Compiled and presented usage data, survey, and interview results in written reports to the product team and at a weekly meeting with the executive team. Findings resulted in iterative changes to the product including feature creation like the battery indicator and idle state, changes to the UI of the menu design for the cubes, and re-structuring of the game purchasing process
- Created storyboards, personas, IA maps, and user flows to drive product software and website design
- Designed wireframes, graphics, and pixel perfect mockups for implementation by the product team
- Coordinated between product team, marketing company, industrial design firm, warehouse distributor, and production factory on projects relating to packaging changes, the design of the user manual, and international certification requirements
- Represented the company at external events including Google I/O, Maker Faire, and CHI
Fidelity Investments, User Insight Technical Intern
- Performed usability studies for Fidelity websites as part of a team of 20 Usability Engineers
- Redesigned and built Usability team’s website using HTML and CSS
- Oversaw study on the effect of pictures on websites by using specially-designed web prototypes for online study, and recruiting and moderating 59 participants for eye tracking lab tests
Design Science, Ergonomics/Human Factors Intern
- Compiled human factor design guidelines for medical equipment client company
- Researched literature on ergonomic design, organized video footage of usability tests of medical equipment
Newsweek, Interactive Intern
- Awarded Multimedia Editor credit for “Boomers at 60” Quiz featured on front page of Newsweek.com
- Acted as sole intern responsible for editing sound clips, producing daily podcast, transcribing audio, attending editorial meetings, researching and obtaining various multimedia for website
Sesame Workshop, General Productions Intern
- Supported the production office- responsibilities included: attending production meetings, researching show information, screening videotapes, handling viewer inquiries, assisting with special projects
XX+UX, Event Coordinator
- Coordinated the XX+UX event hosted at YouTube in July 2016. Went through weeks of planning with the Google and YouTube team to help organize the biggest XX+UX event ever held in the Bay Area.
Cornell University, Teaching Assistant
- Designed assignments, led weekly discussion, guest lectured, graded, and held office hours for upperclassmen/Master-level courses INFO3450: HCI Design and INFO4400: Advanced HCI Design
- 2013-2014 Information Science Oustanding Teaching Award Recipient
IxDA Interaction Awards Operations Chair, Founding Team
- Coordinated with entrants, judges, and winners, culminating in the award ceremony at the IxDA Annual Conferences in Dublin 2012 and Toronto 2013
California Academy of Sciences, Producer/ User Experience Designer
- Designed educational entertainment experience installed at the California Academy of Sciences
- Created 5 iPad games to extend museum-learning to the home. Children accumulate points that they can redeem for virtual items to personalize an avatar, add friends, and expand their knowledge
- Conducted on-site user observation and in-school user testing
- Published findings and presented research at international conferences
Sun, E.*, McLachlan, R., & Naaman, M. (*authors contributed equally) "MoveMeant: Anonymously Building Community Through Shared Location Histories." In Proceedings of the 2017 CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI '17). ACM, New York, NY, USA, 4284-4289.
Sun, E.*, McLachlan, R*., & Naaman, M. (*authors contributed equally) TAMIES: A Study and Model of Adoption in P2P Resource Sharing and Indirect Exchange Systems. In Proceedings of the 20th ACM Conference on Computer-Supported Cooperative Work and Social Computing, Portland, February 2017.
Sun, E., de Oliveira, R., & Lewandowski, J. Challenges on the Journey to Co-Watching YouTube. In Proceedings of the 20th ACM Conference on Computer-Supported Cooperative Work and Social Computing, Portland, February 2017.
Ma, X., Sun, E., & Naaman, M. What Happens in happn: The Warranting Powers of Location History in Online Dating. In Proceedings of the 20th ACM Conference on Computer-Supported Cooperative Work and Social Computing, Portland, February 2017.
Snyder, J., Matthews, M., Chien, J., Chang, P., Sun, E., Abdullah, S., Gay, G. MoodLight: Exploring Personal and Social Implications of Ambient Display of Biosensor Data. In Proceedings of the 18th ACM conference on Computer-Supported Cooperative Work and Social Computing, Vancouver, March 2015.
Li, Z., Sun, E., Strawser, C. J., Spiegel, A., Klein, B., & Durgin, F. H. On the anisotropy of perceived ground extents and the interpretation of walked distance as a measure of perception.Journal of Experimental Psychology: Human Perception and Performance. 1939-1277 (2012).
Koushik, M., Lee, E., Pieroni, L., Sun, E., Yeh, C. (alphabetical order). Re-envisioning the museum experience: combining new technology with social-networking. Lecture Notes In Computer Science, Springer Berlin/Heidelberg, 6243: 248-253 (2010).
Merrill, D., Sun, E., & Kalanithi, J. (2012, May). Sifteo cubes. In CHI’12 Extended Abstracts on Human Factors in Computing Systems (pp. 1015-1018). ACM.
Sun, E. Leveraging Location Sharing to Increase Social Capital in Local Communities. In Companion of the 2017 ACM Conference on Computer Supported Cooperative Work and Social Computing (CSCW '17 Companion), ACM, New York, NY, USA, 97-100. [doctoral colloquium]
McLachlan, R., Opila, C., Shah, N., Sun, E., & Naaman, M. (alphabetical order) (2016). "You Can't Always Get What You Want: Challenges in P2P Resource Sharing" Proceedings of the 2016 CHI Conference Extended Abstracts on Human Factors in Computing Systems., pp. 1301-1307, ACM Press, New York, NY.
Ma, X., McLachlan, R., Lee, D., Naaman, M. & Sun, E. (alphabetical order) (2016). "Movement: A Secure Community Awareness Application and Display." In Proceedings of the 19th ACM Conference on Computer Supported Cooperative Work and Social Computing Companion, pp. 106-109, ACM Press, New York, NY.
Sun, E., Jones, B., Traca, S., & Bos, M. W. (2015). "Leaderboard Position Psychology: Counterfactual Thinking." In Proceedings of the 33rd Annual ACM Conference Extended Abstracts on Human Factors in Computing Systems, pp. 1217-1222, ACM Press, New York, NY.
Sun, E., Jones, B. A., Traca, S., & Bos, M. "2nd, 4th, and 7th leaderboard positions lead to greater game satisfaction." Poster presented at the 27th Annual Meeting of the Association of Psychological Science, New York, NY.
Sun, E., Matthews, M., Gay, G., Morris, M., Carmean, D. (2015). “Playing with Emotions: Sentiment Design for Public Space.” Proceedings of CHI Play 2015, Toronto, October 2015.
Sun, E. & Han, S. (2013, May). “Fun with bananas: novel inputs on enjoyment and task performance.” CHI’13 Extended Abstracts on Human Factors in Computing Systems. ACM.
Koushik, M., Lee, E., Pieroni, L., Sun, E., Yeh, C. (alphabetical order), “iPad mini-games connected to an educational social networking website,” ACM SIGGRAPH 2010 Posters (SIGGRAPH ‘10). ACM Press, New York, NY.
Tullis, T., Siegel, M., Sun, E. “Are people drawn to faces on webpages?” Proceedings of the Conference on Computer-Human Interaction (CHI)’09, Boston, MA: ACM Press, New York, NY, 4207-4212.
Sun, E., Durgin, F. (2009). “Leaky integration (and proactive memory distortion) in non-visual path integration,” VSS Conference poster, Journal of Vision, 9(8): 1118.
Law, M., Sun, E., & Naaman, M. (2017). ShareBox: Designing Sharing Technology for Low-Resource Communities Position paper at Reflections on Design for Underserved Populations at CSCW, Portland, OR.Sun, E., Naaman, M., McLachlan, R., & Ma, X. (reverse alphabetical order) (2016). Minimal Sharing Paradigm: Building Trust Through Exchange. Position paper at The Future of Platforms as Sites of Work, Collaboration and Trust Workshop at CSCW, San Francisco, CA.
Sun, E. (2015). The Importance of Play in Digital Placemaking. Digital Placemaking Workshop at the Ninth International AAAI Conference on Web and Social Media, Oxford, UK.
Google Intern Travel Grant Awardee, Grace Hopper 2015
Submission Reviewer, iConference 2014
Student Volunteer, CHI 2013
Interaction Awards, Co-chair Operations, IxDA Awards 2011
Interaction Awards, Peer Reviewer, IxDA Awards 2011
Joan Ganz Cooney Center, Innovation Arcade presenter, Learning from Hollywood 2011
Wireless Generation, invited speaker, InnoDay 2011
ACM SIGGRAPH, Emerging Technology/Studio Juror, SIGGRAPH 2010